Monday, October 13, 2008

Stone Soup

Remember the old fable about the man who made soup by boiling a stone? It was a fabulous soup because everyone around found something to add to the pot, even though they first said they had nothing.


The gardening season should have ended by now, but my garden offered up some bonus produce. So I made myself some stone soup.




These are my back steps covered with cucuzzi squash vines. I'm having a party next weekend, so I'll need the steps. I cut the vines and harvested about 50 tiny squashes.


The babies look like furry green beans. They are very tender. I also picked some tomatoes, okra, a few green beans, peppers and pulled a couple of carrots and onions.

The gluten free bloggers have been pulling out their soup recipes lately. Cindy at Cindalou's Kitchen Blues posted a great looking pepper chowder that inspired me to concoct a similar fall pot of goodness. I used all the "bonus" produce my garden had to offer.


Kay's Stone Soup

2 chicken thighs, no skin
3/4 C pork pan drippings, defatted
2 C water
2 carrots
2 sweet peppers
2 (sort of) hot peppers - I used Salsa peppers, which are pretty mild on Cindy's pepper chart
2 stalks of celery
2 small onions
12 green beans
20 tiny squash
1 C diced fresh tomatoes, with juice
6 okra, sliced in chunks
2 sprigs fresh basil
1 T chopped Italian parsley
Salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne to taste
Fresh chives for topping

I boiled my chicken thighs in the water and dipped off most of the fat. Then I added the pork pan drippings. I de-fat and freeze all my pan drippings for later use. I shredded my chicken and added it to the broth. I sliced and diced and added and tasted until the soup was perfect. The okra thickened it a bit.

I had a bowlful for supper. I'm saving the rest for a couple of days. We've had unseasonably warm weather in Indiana. On Tuesday or Wednesday our temperatures will drop like, well, a stone. I'm sure it will taste even better then.


I got to use my homegrown paprika for the first time in this soup. It has a lot more flavor than the stuff I buy at the grocery. I can't wait to sprinkle some on deviled eggs.


I cut my ripe paprika peppers in half, removed the seeds and dried them in the dehydrator. Then I broke the dry peppers into pieces and ground them in my coffee grinder. I don't drink coffee and never dreamed Mr. Coffee could become such a valued friend. This is a great little spice grinder!

Daddy Cat says, "Cook more meat. Don't need no stinkin' vegetables!"


Instead of a flower photo, you get a picture of me. I'm in the pink. Saturday was my 30th college reunion. It was 83 degrees, so I didn't get to wear a new homecoming sweater. I did, however, get to buy some new skinny jeans. They're the same size jeans I wore in college. Yahooey! I'm with my pals Nancy, Dee and Rick. I really enjoyed the weekend festivities. We had great weather, a good turnout and we won the football game 63 to 3.



And thanks to Rachel at The Crispy Cook for giving my blog an E for Excellent award! I am honored. I joined the gluten free blogging community because you have all been vital in my lifestyle transition. I'm glad you tune in to see my garden photos and share in my continuing journey. Check out her blog for links to other award winning sites.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kay,
I read your reply to Ginger Lemon Girl's bread recipe that you were able to find all apple pectin. I am very interested since my gluten free son in very allergic to Dextrose, corn syrup and HFG. Sure Jell is just not an option for our family. If you remember the brand name of the apple pectin I would appreciate it.
Loved your blog. Reminds me of the years we were stationed in Dayton.
Sarah in CA

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Sarah,

My pure apple pectin is Solgar brand. My favorite health food store, The Good Earth, ordered it special for me. The only ingredient is apple pectin powder. It is free of corn, yeast, wheat, soy and dairy products.

I used it in Carrie's bread and in some jelly. I stopped using it because something was making me itchy. I still don't know if the pectin was the culprit. I am not allergic to apples. I'll test it again, now that I'm better at the food elimination approach.

I hope you find some and it works for you. Carrie's bread is the best sandwich bread ever!

If you have trouble locating it, I'll give you the phone number for The Good Earth. They might be able to ship you some or give you Solgar ordering info.

Anonymous said...

CUZ!

You're TIIIIIINNNNNYYYYY! yay!

Hope you had a great time!

xoxo
Kathy

Sarah said...

Congrats on the award Kay. It is well deserved :)

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Hey Kay!

Congrats on rockin' your skinny jeans :)

We had our first frost here last night, so sadly my garden seems to be done for the season. Good thing I can live vicariously through you for a bit (boy, those cucuzzis are something!).

Cheryl Harris said...

Hi Kay-
your pics are luscious! and your cat is a beauty, too

I've just begun playing with apple pectin, too.

Anonymous said...

Kay -- you are a girl after my own heart. We have a lot in common! I love all your veggie photos and this soup looks awesome. I love making a big pot of soup or stew and having it on hand for a few days. I like a half cup for a snack morning or afternoon. You know, I've never been much of an okra fan, but I'm going to try some in soup. I love these kinds of recipes where you just throw in whatever you have in the fridge. Or in your case, out in the yard. I don't grow much myself, I belong to a wonderful CSA, so I let them do all the work.
:-)
Melissa