Sunday, February 22, 2009

That recipe I promised

The Nascar racing season is underway! Snack foods required!

I always celebrate the the first race of the season (that's Daytona, for you non-race fans) at Rich's Racin' Party. It's a delightful annual event where Rich (and everyone else) show off their culinary skills. This years buffet featured FIVE deep fried turkeys, fancy mac & cheese, hot chicken queso dip, cheesy potatoes, homemade bread, hot mamas, brownies and cherry cheese blintzes.

And my gluten free Scotch eggs. They took MUCH less time to assemble before I had to make my own sausage and my own bread for breadcrumbs. But the extra effort was worth it! I'm glad to have this gf recipe in my repertoire. They can be a great pitch-in dish for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks.

Scotch eggs

1 doz. large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
2 lbs. ground sausage
2 raw eggs, scrambled
1 t dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 C (about) DRY gf bread crumbs
Canola oil for deep frying



Put a piece of waxed paper on your counter. Grab a handful of sausage a little bigger than your egg and flatten it with another piece of waxed paper.


Wrap it around your egg, so the sausage layer is even.


Scramble your 2 eggs and add dry mustard, salt and pepper. Dip your sausage covered eggs in the raw egg and roll in a small bowl of bread crumbs.



Heat your oil in a pan or deep fryer to 350 degrees. Place a couple of the eggs in the oil. (Note: if you used moist bread crumbs, the oil will boil over.) I cooked my eggs for about 8 minutes, turning to make sure the browning was even. Then I put them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, and put them in the over (at 350) for about 10 minutes. You can cut one open to see of the sausage is done. You don't want raw sausage next to the egg.


Cut the eggs in quarters for serving. Scotch eggs can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.


I made a dipping sauce for mine with mayonnaise, grainy mustard, cayenne and paprika. It was well received.


And here's the THIRD bloom from my amaryllis! Hey, it's all I've got in February. Maybe in another week or so I'll have some basement greenhouse vegetable sprouts to show you.

6 comments:

H.Peter said...

I have not had or seen Scotch eggs since I worked for a scottish captain on a ship about 22 years ago..

How fun they are. Not my fav, but fun. Maybe I should not mention that he keeled over at 57 from a heart attack...he just loved food a tad too much.

Melanie said...

Those look sooooo good! I'll bet they are good leftover for breakfast :)

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Kay--I had never heard of those before you mentioned them. I had no idea what they'd even look like. They look neat. I'd love to try one some time!

Shirley

ABSOLUTELY NOT MARTHA said...

thanks, kay, for letting me know your gf fave! (btw, i don't judge.)

Rachel said...

I just wanted to let you know that I "adopted" you for the Book of Yum's Adopt a GF Blogger Event and made up a batch of your tasty Hot Mamas! You can read all about it at the Crispy Cook.

Anonymous said...

great blog - found it via the 100 GF bloggers post. have you had your thyroid checked? That was causing my blurry vision....