Friday, August 7, 2009

Go Green! or Yellow, or Purple or Striped!

I'm talking about beans. No need to restrict yourself to only green beans any more! Here are a few of the varieties I've been picking from my garden. I cook them all together. The colors make for a lively side dish.

Left to right - Rattlesnake pole beans, yellow pole beans, Roma II bush beans, Dragon Tongue bush beans, Flat Italian pole beans, Brittle Wax bush beans, and Contender bush beans. The purple color cooks away, leaving a pretty green or yellow bean when served.

These are my Vermont Cranberry bush beans, a new variety for me. The flat pods have pink streaks and can be picked when tender and steamed fresh. I let these dry on the vine to use as soup beans. The first ones I picked were so pretty that I planted a couple more rows late in the season. They'll make a nice Fall treat.

I'm sure Melissa at Gluten Free for Good can tell you all about the nutritional value of beans. I'll settle for knowing they're good for me because I love eating fresh beans every day!

I picked my first ripe tomatoes a couple of weeks ago. They were running late this year. Since then, I've had to pick the cherry tomatoes every day. The yellow cluster tomatoes are called Yellow Perfection - and they live up to their name! I'll save seed for next year. Definitely a keeper! My favorite red tomato is called Red Star. They are small, flat, funny-looking and delicious. I ate them all before this photo was taken. Oops!

Although we made it through all of July without hitting 90 degrees, the okra decided to bear fruit anyway. They thrive in really hot weather. We'll hit the 90s this weekend for the opening of the Indiana State Fair, so I expect a lot more okra.

No post would be complete without a photo of my girls. These Buff Orpingtons decided to test drive their new roost, made from a branch from the honey locust tree. Seems to work just fine. My little chicks are getting so big! I expect the new flock of 24 to start laying any day now.

Construction is underway on 2 new chicken coops and runs. That's why I've been away from my blog for so long. I've been gathering materials, digging out stumps and clearing brush. Today I dug my first five (okay, 4 and a half) post holes. When it got too dark to work, I could barely lift a New Grist beer to my lips. I struggled through a whole one, though. Hope I can raise my arms tomorrow. Ten more post holes to dig.

My totally neglected flower gardens have done just fine while I've been busy with chickens and vegetables. Here's a pretty black-eyed Susan, one of MANY. They've spread like crazy.

7 comments:

H.Peter said...

Victoria's big idea is to have some chickens in our yard.....
I am not so sure to behonest, but flollowing your Blog made me rethink, Kay.

Rachel said...

Your "girls" are so beautiful. Glad to hear they like zucchini. We give lots away at our bookstore to unsuspecting customers, so that's a help, but our four plants have really been pumping out the squashes at an alarming rate with all the hazy hot weather we've been having lately.

Gluten free Kay said...

H. Peter - my advice on chickens is keep it small. I decided to expand, and the construction is wearing me out! I think the chickens will be very happy in their new, much bigger run. I really like my chickens. I can't wait to have enough eggs to share!

If I didn't want more chickens, I could be on a beach in Florida looking at the ocean. I'm starting a new (big!) job in a couple of weeks. I'm setting posts and stretching chicken wire instead of taking a vacation.

Hi Rachel! It's feeling like fall in Indiana. Really early. My gardens are winding down. I'm already planning to retire one bed and get it ready for next year with "contributions" from the chickens.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Kay--You know I love all your photos! I tried to comment on this post a while back and my PC locked up (too much stuff open I am sure LOL), so here I am finally again. Starting your new job will probably seem like going on vacation after all the work you've done this summer! ;-) Congrats on the new job, your happy girls in their new abode, and all your wonderful veggies, plants, and flowers! I'd really like to visit Leaning Tree Farm one day. Seriously. Wonder if it could be a stop on a motorcycle trip?

Shirley

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Shirley,
You'd fit right in this weekend. Indy is FULL of motorcycles right now. We're hosting the Moto GP races at the 500 track.
You can stop by any time you happen to be passing through!

glutenfreeforgood said...

HOLY COW! What a great post! I love your sweet girls on the honey locust branch. They look SO soft. Very healthy looking crew you have there, Kay. I'm sure they love living at the Leaning Tree Bird Spa.

Your beans are incredible. Wow, I'm so darn impressed with you. From digging post holes to raising chickens to growing your own food to the gorgeous flowers, you're a hard one to keep up with!

The tomatoes look beautiful as well. I've been freezing tomatoes and green chiles like crazy lately too. I like throwing them in soups and stews during the winter.

Here's to you! Go find some Green's Beer!

Melissa

Kids boots said...

That's the spirit,If we really want to have a long life we must have a healthy diet.And it starts with eating vegetables and less meat products.Lets go back to organic way and lessen also eating preservatives and canned goods.