Friday, June 12, 2009

One step forward, two steps back

I've been missing for a while because I've been dealing with chicken health issues. Turns out I bought the first flock from someone who did not take good care of his chickens. I shamed him into taking the whole bunch back and giving me a refund. I'm relieved! It was an 80-mile round trip to return them. Lots of cleaning and sanitizing in my near future!

The second flock of six is doing just fine. They have separate quarters and yard. They are giving me three eggs every day. Except for putting up with waaaaaay too much rain (new record in Indianapolis,) they seem to be pretty happy. As soon as I clean out the chicken yard they will have more room to move around. That should make them even happier.

Here's what I'm harvesting this week:




The campanula and Asian lilies have popped open to decorate the yard.


2 comments:

Gina said...

Beautiful flowers! That's a great idea to take little flower "portraits" for your blog. I might have to try that. Good post, and sorry about your chickens.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Gorgeous shots, Kay (per usual!). :-) Sorry about the chickens, but good for you for getting it resolved. I feel badly for those chickens and I'm sorry you're left with a lot more work.

I hear you on the rain ... I'm really hoping we'll be able to go to our mtn property and camp this weekend, but I don't know ...

Shirley