Sunday, June 21, 2009

On the Brink of Abundance!

It finally feels like summer here at Kay's Leaning Tree Farm. We've had our first 90 degree day, and I've had two sunny pool days. Yahooey!


My six chickens have been enjoying a diet of carrots, clover, corn, strawberries, watermelon rind and grapes. I've been getting three eggs a day since I moved the 4H chickens into the coop annex. Yesterday was my first four-egg-day! That super jumbo egg in front is from my Black Australorpe. She's a keeper! A couple of her eggs have been double-yolkers.

I picked my first black currants this morning. They are kind of bitter and need lots of sugar or honey. I plan to make a syrup to add to smoothies. These babies are full of antioxidants.

The black raspberries are sweet and tasty right off the vine. A couple of handfuls didn't even make it to the house.

My first beans. My first cucumber. The last of the asparagus. My record for first beans is June 14. That was at least ten years ago. I would call this harvest "nice and early."

Look closely. That's a chipmunk waaaaaay up in the cherry tree. He was later chased to the ground by the bossy mama robin.

These lucky baby robins are growing up on a diet rich in cherries! I'm sure mama will be heading for the raspberry vines soon.

2 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

It looks like your "spoiled" chickens are returning in kind. ;-) Double-yolkers are always delightful! One thing I always enjoy about true gardeners is their recordkeeping. So glad your garden is doing well, Kay!

BTW, visited mom and dad last night and another family of robins is in the same nest that I took pictures of before. Smart robins ... not reinventing the wheel.

Now that chipmunk ... too cute. Mama robins are mean! LOL Now, babies ... so ugly, they are cute. Cherry fed. Love it!

Here's to a great summer, Kay!

Shirley

Carrie said...

I WANT my own chickens!!! I'm jealous!!