Monday, June 1, 2009

Which came first?

In this case, the chickens. I brought 14 of them home Sunday afternoon. Breeds include Silver Laced Wyandotte, Aracana, Cochin, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Plymouth Rock and one Turken. The turken loves me! The Cochin is HUGE and has feathers on her feet. The Buff Orpingtons are afraid of everything and sleep standing up with their heads under a wing.
My first egg! I'm thrilled about it because moving chickens causes them to stop laying for a few weeks. Maybe it was the bedtime snack of watermelon rind and apple peel. Maybe it's that I sang them a lullaby (Sweet Baby James, because I like the "goodnight moonlight ladies" line) when I tucked them in.

I bet they'll like it here. They came from a large chicken farm. They already love their grassy yard. Conditions were more crowded and less personal at their previous address.

6 comments:

Gluten Free Steve said...

Can I just tell you that I can't wait until I am someday in your neck of the woods and can invite myself over for dinner? I admire all of your home grown and living off the land efforts so much. You're a good inspiration!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Oh, those are going to be some pampered chickens!! And, they'll be giving the love right back to you in eggs, Kay! So cool. They all look happy and I know you are, too. Happy first egg!

Shirley

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Steve,

I've been working waaaaaay too hard at this! I need some quality time with any Florida author's paperback and a raft in the pool.

Stop by anytime! I should be rested up by the time you're in my neck of the woods. Late July is a great time for homegrown favorites.

Hi Shirley,

Got more eggs. Got six more chickens tonight. The 4H chickens are far superior to the "chicken mill" chickens of the first batch. I'm nursing the first ones along. It took the second batch about five minutes to figure out how to escape from their section of the chicken yard. I've fortified their confines. Unless they get engineering degrees while I'm asleep, they should stay put. I can't believe two groups of chickens can be so different!

Tori said...

YEAY! So cool! I wish I could have chickens... so much better eggs. I'm so impressed with your coop. It's lovely!

So you prefer the chickens raised by kids in the 4H club? That's good to know. We have a very active group in my neck of the world. :)

My Year Without said...

Very neat pictures of your chickens, THE egg and your chicken coop. How exciting. Isn't it great when an animal takes to you so naturally, like the chicken you mentioned?

I just came across your blog tonight for the first time. It's creative!

glutenfreeforgood said...

Wow, you've got some good-looking girls ready to fill you up with wonderful eggs. I'm anxious to hear how each breed produces. Now, what is a turken? I've got a good guess, but want to hear it from the expert. Why are the Buff O's afraid of everything?

I agree with everyone else -- this is so cool, Kay! I'm very impressed.

Melissa