Friday, August 1, 2008

Stuffed eggplant

Surprise! I finally have a recipe to post! I took a break from my eating-the-same-things-every-week schedule to try something new. My lavender eggplants are so pretty and tempting, I just had to dress them up a bit.

Stuffed Eggplant

2 smallish eggplants
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
half a sweet onion, minced
1 clove garlic
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 chopped green chile
1 t salt
1 C gf bread crumbs
Chives and garlic chives, snipped small

Wash the eggplants and cut them in half, the long way. Scoop out pulp to about 1/2 inch of the skin. Dice pulp. In a skillet, melt butter with olive oil over medium heat. Chop the garlic. Brown it in the oil and butter. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add eggplant pulp, chile, tomatoes, bread crumbs, both chives and salt. Mix well. Heap the filling in the eggplant shells. Bake at 375 degrees until browned, about 30 minutes.

Now you've got a great vegetarian dinner. For you meat eaters, I think some spicy sausage or bacon crumbles would be nice additions. You can add some shredded cheese on top when the baking is nearly done.

4 comments:

Kathi said...

That looks yummy. I can't wait to try it.

Your garden looks great too.

I'm glad I discovered your blog - both gluten free and with gardens.

Actually I think you discovered one of mine first - but I'm glad you commented so I could follow the link and find yours.

Great blog!

Rachel said...

Your garden veggies always look so beautiful and now you've cooked up something equally worthy of Monet. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog Kay. I'm gluten-free and casein-free and my son's diet may have to be free of multiple allergens. I have almost given up baking, which used to be my hobby, for gardening, which I find more rewarding now. I enjoy seeing the bounty from your garden and the simple, fresh foods that you prepare. Keep up the good work!

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Kathi! I'm happy I found your blog. I've added you to my blogroll. It looks like we both eat out of our back yards as much as possible.

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for the compliment!

Welcome gfkfc!
I'm living with multiple allergens myself. But my life is soooooo much better now that I've figured it out and changed my diet. It took some time to overcome my lifelong brainwashing about fast food and convenience foods. But now I'm eating like royalty.